So yesterday I’m at my parent’s place, talking to my sister and her boyfriend (total altworld groupies) and the subject of antibiotics comes up. The boyfriend mentions that he takes colloidal silver and it’s great. Not knowing what it is, I just smile and nod. He offers to loan me some literature. I say I’ll just google it.
Here are some interesting facts about colloidal silver:
- It has been shown to have dubious if any efficacy against disease (despite claims it is effective against HIV/ AIDS, cancer, and just about every other disease known to man including the common cold).
- The amount of silver actually contained has been shown to vary from 15.2% to 124% greater than that printed on the label (what is this ‘dosage accuracy’ you speak of?).
- The FDA have concluded that the risk of taking colloidal silver exceeds any unsubstatiated benefit.
- On September 17, 1999 the FDA issued a rule banning the claim that colloidal silver or silver salt products are effective in the treatment of disease. They can however still be sold as a nutritional supplement (supplements don’t need to be useful, they only need to supplement, and since we don’t generally ingest silver, any silver is supplemental).
- In 2000 the FDA issued warnings to more than 20 companies still advertising colloidal silver as a therepeutic product. Several subsequently required court actions to cease and desist with their claims. The FDA was successful in all counts in obtaining such actions.
- Peddlars of colloidal silver products not only make dubious claims about its efficacy, they also claim it has no side effects. This is not true. Continual exposure to colloidal silver products causes a condition called argyria where your skin turns irreversably grey. See an in depth medical report on the subject here. See a victim’s website here. More pictures here.
So it’s been shown to have dubious efficacy, claims of it having efficacy have been banned by the FDA, and it has permanently deforming side effects.
Sure, see me rushing out to buy it right now. No really. I’m going. Because I want to look like this: