A little thought goes a long way
Apparently a recent article, about how University of Florida researches have shown that microwaving your kitchen sponges for just two minutes can help to sterilise them, led to the destruction of several microwaves and the disappointment of a number of readers.
The critical step that most readers failed to take note of as they rushed to microwave their scrubbers and sponges was this – they need to be wet. It’s pretty obvious, if you’ve ever used a microwave really, that this would be the case. This didn’t stop a number of people putting bone-dry sponges into their microwaves and then being surprised when the things caught fire.
The university has now issued the following advisory:
To guard against the risk of fire, people who wish to sterilise their sponges at home must ensure the sponge is completely wet. Two minutes of microwaving is sufficient for most sterilisation. Sponges should also have no metallic content. Last, people should be careful when removing the sponge from the microwave as it will be hot.
I think people who need to be told this sort of thing should be left to their own devices. Let’s just take the warning labels off everything, remove all the advisories, and let the problem take care of itself.